Manager Update – Friday, June 15
Great news for Gilbert residents as we look to decrease the Environmental Services fees on our utility bills by 7.5 percent in the next fiscal year. This is a significant statement of our dedication to providing the highest quality solid waste and recycling services at the best rate. Together, we can continue to work together as a community to keep our Town clean and beautiful and to keep our rates low and our services high.
I appreciate Gilbert’s Environmental Services staff for taking the initiative to make some resounding changes that will help us to become more efficient:
• 110K Reduction in Route Miles Driven from 991K in 2009 to 881K in 2011
• Renegotiated disposal contracts and closer transfer stations
• Increase in Recycle Revenue from 775K in 2010 to 918K in 2011
• Maintaining the recycle contract with good return on investment
• Fleet standardization and reduction in redundancy in parts inventory, replacement plan reduced total fleet maintenance cost from 1.9 million in 2009 to 1.25 million in 2011
We could not do this without your help and your dedication to recycling in your homes. I encourage you to continue considering the blue can anytime it can be reused, and our free compost bins to reuse your scraps and green waste. You can learn more about all of the ways to benefit from our Environmental Services programs and keep our costs decreasing at www.gilbertaz.gov/recycle.
Finally, I want to thank everyone who joined Gilbert employees to raise 11,910 pounds of food and more than $5,000, which together equates to more than 33,000 meals to our community. A special thanks to United Food Bank for helping us to distribute the food and to sponsors: Albertson’s for their $3,500 donation, Hunter Contracting for their $1,000 contribution, Polar Ice for offering skate rentals for donations, and all of the businesses and residents who took part. If you did not have a chance to donate, you can continue to help through United Food Bank at http://unitedfoodbank.org.